OMS721-IGA-001: A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Phase 3 Study of the Safety and Efficacy of OMS721 in Patients with Immunoglobulin A (IgA) Nephropathy (ARTEMIS - IGAN)
This is a Phase 3, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, study in patients aged 18 years and above with a biopsy-confirmed diagnosis of IgAN and with 24-hour UPE that is > 1 g/day at baseline. During the study, all patients will continue optimized renin-angiotensin system (RAS) blockade. The study consists of five periods: Screening, Run-In, Initial Treatment (Weeks 1-12), Response Evaluation (Weeks 13-24), and Follow-Up (Weeks 25 to end-of-study). The study duration for each patient is expected to last up to 160 weeks.
• Age 18 years or older at the onset of Screening
• Biopsy confirmed diagnosis of IgAN within 8 years prior to Screening
• Proteinuria of > 1 g/day within 6 months prior to Screening or uPCR > 0.75 by spot urine at Screening
• Mean of two proteinuria measurements > 1 g/day at baseline
• Estimated glomerular filtration rate of ≥ 30 mL/min/1.73 m2 at Screening and baseline
• Treatment with immunosuppressants (e.g., azathioprine or cyclophosphamide), or cytotoxic drugs, for IgA within 8 weeks prior to Screening. Treatment with immunosuppressants or cytotoxic drugs for IgAN is not allowed during the Run-In Period. Treatment with immunosuppressants are allowed if such treatment is for indications other than IgAN.
• Treatment with eculizumab within 8 weeks prior to Screening. Treatment with eculizumab is not allowed during the Run-In Period.
• Treatment with systemic corticosteroids within 8 weeks prior to Screening. Treatment with systemic corticosteroids is not allowed during the Run-In Period.
• Uncontrolled BP, a systolic BP of > 150 mmHg and a diastolic BP of > 100 mmHg at rest despite the combination of two or more anti-hypertensives including ACEIs, ARBs, or direct renin inhibitors at Screening and baseline
• Female patients who are pregnant, breast feeding, or planning to become pregnant up through 12 weeks after the last dose of study drug, including possible retreatments
• Clinical or biological evidence of Type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM), or poorly controlled DM with hemoglobin A1c > 7.5 or with evidence of diabetic nephropathy on biopsy, systemic lupus erythematosus, IgA vasculitis (Henoch-Schonlein purpura), secondary IgAN, or other renal disease during Screening and Run-In
• History of renal transplantation
• Have a known hypersensitivity to any constituent of the investigational product
• Rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis
• Significant abnormalities in clinical laboratory values
• History of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), evidence of immune suppression, active HCV infection (patients with positive anti-HCV antibody but a non-detected HCV RNA PCR can enroll), HBV infection (patients with positive HBsAg are excluded. For patients with isolated positive anti-HBc antibody, HBV DNA test by PCR must be non-detectable to enroll).
• Diagnosis of a malignancy except for adequately treated and cured basal or squamous cell skin cancer, curatively treated in situ disease, or other cancer from which the patient has been disease-free for ≥ 5 years
• Have received any other investigational drug or device or experimental procedures within 30 days of the Screening Visit (SV)
Biological: OMS721, Other: Vehicle (D5W or saline)
Clinics and Surgery Center (CSC)