Care Improving Cognition for ADolescents on the Autism Spectrum
This is a validation study to evaluate the acceptability, feasibility and impact of CICADAS (Care Improving Cognition for ADolescents on the Autism Spectrum), a clinician-assisted, mobile application that aims to prime the brain to engage in flexible, adaptive long-term learning about social-emotional events through closed-loop technology. The goal of this study is to evaluate the CICADAS app in adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
• Potential participant is between the age of 11 and 18 (inclusive) at the time of consent.
• Potential participant has a clinical diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), as confirmed by medical/clinical records or standardized assessments/interviews (e.g., Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, 2nd Edition (ADOS-2) or Autism Diagnostic Interview - Revised (ADI-R)).
• Potential participant has an IQ Score > 70 on the Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence (WASI-II) or a comparable measure in medical/clinical records.
• Potential participant has normal or corrected to normal vision (20/20 or better; self/parent-reported.
• Potential participant has normal hearing (self/parent-reported).
• Potential participant is a fluent English speaker, based on participant and/or parent/legal guardian self-report and as determined by the screening clinician, to ensure reasonable neuropsychological results on key assessments.
• Potential participant has adequate sensorimotor capacity to perform the intervention and study activities, including visual capacity adequate to read from a computer screen or mobile device at a normal viewing distance, auditory capacity adequate to understand normal speech, and motor capacity adequate to control and use a mobile device and/or computer, based on participant and/or parent/legal guardian self-report and as determined by the screening clinician and/or study team.
• Potential participant must be clinically stable as a result of therapy or medication regimen for 4 weeks prior to enrolling into the study.
• Potential participant has reliable access to the internet.
• Potential participant has history of psychotic disorders and/or seizure disorder and/or seizure episodes within the last 2 years.
• Potential participant has a motor/perceptual handicap that prevents digital device use, as determined by the screening clinician and/or study team.
• Potential participant has problems in performing assessments or comprehending or following spoken instructions, as determined by the screening clinician and/or study team.
• Potential participant has medical illnesses/genetic syndromes deemed to interfere with participation in study activities and/or unstable and/or untreated conditions that may affect cognition, including substance abuse/dependence disorders, ongoing chemotherapy or other cancer treatment.
• Potential participant has a history of head trauma, traumatic brain injury, or other neurological disorder that impairs cognition
• Potential adult participant scores less than a 14 (75%) on the University of California, San Diego Brief Assessment of Capacity to Consent (UBACC). Please note, this criteria applies only to adult participants, age 18, at the time of screening.
Other: CICADAS and then PEERS, Other: PEERS + CICADAS and then no-contact, Other: PEERS + Active Comparator and then no-contact
Autism Spectrum Disorder